Monday, May 24, 2010

How Did I Leave Project 50/50 Off My List??!

I don't know why I didn't include this one in my last post, except that it's not a regular blog that I follow, but rather I get my updates via Facebook. My friend Vince Yanez (who gives tons of his own updates of sorts via Facebook) introduced me to Project 50/50, and if you're looking for something inspirational, check it out. Shay Kelley began a journey in January of this year in her blue Ford pickup, with a goal of traveling to all 50 states in 50 weeks, going door to door to collect at least 200 cans of food to donate each week, and along the way, interviewing people and taking pictures to tell their stories. Her own story? She lost her job in marketing and had her car stolen in the same week, found herself homeless, thought her life needed direction and purpose, and set off to help other homeless people across the country. No, I'm not ready to devote an entire year to that kind of volunteerism, but it does remind me that every person makes a difference. Pretty cool, huh?

By the way, this hobby search of mine, I think it's really because I'm not working right now, and so it seems like a good time to start something new. Yes, blogging could certainly count as a hobby, and especially with the amount of time that I've spent on it this week. But I can't blog about nothing, and the thing I like about all the other blogs on my list is that they were formed around one central (bigger) purpose. What can I say, I like to be inspired.

But really, since this was about changing the things that I didn't like about myself, the hobby part of it boils down to this: I want to be an artist. I want to be able to create beauty and share it with others. I wish I had the kind of talent and creativity that I see in my friends. I want to be able to draw, paint, sculpt, write, photograph, tell stories and make music. I want to do all of those things, and yet I want to devote my time to none of those things. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I know that I'm still looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment